Have you ever encountered an error code ‘0x00000709’ while working with a printer? This error mostly occurs with a message stating, “operation could not be completed error 0x00000709” and the reason due to which you are getting this error is your printer has not been set as default. However, there is nothing to worry about as this error code can be easily resolved if you follow the troubleshooting provided in this guide.
You must have faced similar other printing error codes such as 0x00000bc4, 0x000006be, and 0x0000007a; however, the reasons for their occurrence are completely different.
Causes of Printing Error Code 0x00000709
You will mostly encounter the error code 0x00000709 when you are facing issues in setting up your new printer. Also, if you want to set up a different printer as default other than the one that is already set as default and are not able to do so, you will get the 0x00000709 error in mostly all the Windows versions such as 7,8 and 10.
Here is why you are facing error “operation could not be completed 0x00000709”:
- If there is a fault in Windows Registry Settings, you will face this error.
- If Registry gives priority to a printer assigned previously as default.
Fixes to Printer Error 0x00000709
For troubleshooting the error 0x00000709 with your printer, you need to modify the registry; however, before that, you need to have a backup of the Windows Registry.
To create a backup, press the Windows and R key together and then in the Run dialog box that appears, type ‘Regedit’. Next, a dialog box of ‘User Access Control’ will appear where you will be prompted to run Registry Editor as Administrator, click ‘Yes’ to grant permission.
Solution-1 Modify Windows Registry Settings
To modify Windows Registry, here are the steps that will help:
- Open the Registry Editor window, go to File and then click on Export; thereafter, type in a name for the backup Registry file and then Save it.
- Next, click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then expand the Software folder. Click on Microsoft after scrolling down. Then again expand Windows NT and select Windows folder.
- Right-click on the REG key namely ‘Device’ given on the right side of the Windows Registry Editor; then select the option ‘Modify’ from the menu that appears on the screen.
- Type in the name for your default printer that you want to add to your Windows PC.
- If you receive a prompt telling ‘Cannot Edit Device’; click ‘Ok’ and then right-click on the Windows folder provided to the left side of the Registry Folder and then choose the ‘Permissions’ option to expand it.
- The Permissions dialog box will launch where you have to select the Full Control option provided under the heading ‘Permissions for Everyone’.
Solution-2 Devices and Printers Settings
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ directly from the menu or press ‘Windows key + S’ and then type ‘Control Panel’ in the Search box.
- Click on the ‘Hardware and Sound’ section and then go to ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Now, look for the printer driver you want to set as default and then right-click on it, and click on the option ‘See what’s printing’.
- A new window will pop-up where you have to go to the ‘Printer’ tab.
- A pull-down menu will appear where you have to select the option ‘Run as administrator’.
- Finally, on the main menu, click on ‘Set as Default Printer’.
Solution-3 Run Printer as Administrator
If, in case, the above two solutions did not help you in fixing the error 0x0000709 on your printer, here is another solution that you can give a try. Click on the ‘Start’ button and then look for ‘Devices and Printers’ or open it directly from the Control Panel. When the Devices and Printers window opens, right-click on your printer’s name and then select ‘See What’s Printing’. After that, select the option ‘Open As Administrator’ from the print queue window and then select the option ‘Set as Default Printer’ in the next menu.
Tags: #error 0x00000709, #0x00000709, #0x00000709 error, #error 0x0000709, #error code 0x00000709, #printer error 709, #printer default error, #printer error 0x00000709, #operation could not be completed error 0x00000709, #operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709)