HP Printers have a reputation in the market and the reason is the quality of the prints they produce. HP wireless printers are a boon for the technology world and they also support mobile printing. All in all, getting an HP printer is a useful investment; however, that doesn't mean you are not going to face any issues with your HP printing device.
Sometimes your HP printer may go into an error state while printing a document and due to this, it will not print the document till the error state gets resolved. Whenever this error happens, you will see an error message on the display of the printer “printer is in error state”.
If you have made several attempts and have failed to fix the error state, here are some solutions you can try to get your HP printer out of the error state.
Why HP Printer is in an Error State?
While trying to print a document, your HP printer may stop suddenly and you will see an error message ‘printer is in error state’. Due to this error, you will not be able to give a print command to your printer till you fix it. This can happen due to a list of reasons as follows:
- A disconnected USB cable
- Issues with the operating system
- Wireless, USB, Bluetooth, and wired connection problems
5 Working Methods to Resolve HP Printer Error State
Here are several methods that can assist you in fixing the error state of the HP Printer:
1. Initial Check-ups
- First, you need to ensure that if the printer is able to make photocopies, and this way you will be able to determine whether the issue is with software or driver.
- Make sure the software of your printer is updated to the latest version.
- Connect your HP printer to any other computer or device and see if it works or not.
2. Connect your Printer to Wall Outlet
- Keeping your printer connected and ON, remove its power cable and all the cables that are connected to your HP device.
- Press and keep holding the power button of the printer for around 15 seconds.
- Connect your HP printer directly to the wall outlet without any surge protectors.
- Reconnect the power cable and with that, the printer should turn ON by itself; if not, then switch it on by yourself.
3. Use HP Print and Scan Doctor
HP Print and Scan Doctor is one tool provided by the brand itself to fix issues regarding HP printer and driver. If you think the issue is due to the HP driver, you can download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor to resolve the issue. Follow the instructions provided by this tool to fix the error state of your HP printer.
4. Uninstall and Re-install your Printer
This can also help you in fixing the error state of HP printer. To uninstall your HP printer:
- Unplug the printer’s USB cable from the computer
- Then press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc in the given box, and hit enter; this will open Device manager.
- Now, click on ‘Printers and Scanners’ to expand it and then right-click on the printer driver; select uninstall the device.
- You will then see a warning message ‘You are about to uninstall this device from your system’. Select the box for ‘delete the driver software for this device’; click on the Uninstall button to proceed. After the uninstallation is complete, restart your device and then re-add your printer.
5. Update or Re-install Printer Driver
If you are using a faulty or incompatible printer driver, this can get your HP printer in an error state. If this is the case, you will need to update or reinstall the HP printer driver to fix the error. To get the latest version for your driver, you can go to HP Supports and Download page, enter your printer model number, and download and install the latest HP printer driver as per your operating system.
After you have correctly applied all the above steps, you will be able to fix the HP printer that is showing an error state and get it back to a normal functioning state.
Tags: #hp printer in error state, #hp printer is in error state, #hp printer in an error state, #hp printer error state, #hp printer in error state windows 10